3 Things I Learned Yesterday while Baking Cupcakes from Stratch

8.11.2011

Ever since I bought this cookbook (about a week ago), I have been wanting to try something from it: 


A friend of mine is moving away, so I decided to bake her some please-don't-leave-me-here cupcakes. This was my first attempt at baking chocolate cupcakes not from a box.

Here's what I learned: 

1. If you are making chocolate cupcakes (not from a box), and the recipe calls for a double broiler but you don't have a double broiler, you can rig up a homemade db using a regular pot and a glass Pyrex bowl. It works just the same or mostly the same, I guess. (Since I've never actually used a real db, I obviously can't say for sure.) The chocolate melted, in any case, so I was satisfied.

2. When using your Kitchen Aid mixer, do not begin the mixing process immediately on level 4. Doing so may or may not cause flour and sugar to erupt from the bowl, layering all counter tops and baking utensils in the vicinity with a light [read: heavy] dusting.

Note: My Kitchen Aid mixer is still a raging success. It makes me excited to bake things, even if a mess ensues. 

3. Apartment ovens are a large oil stain on the clean white apron of aspiring bakers. Even though the recipe says bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, you can still put them in for 15 and have them turn out dry. Clearly my conservative setting of the kitchen timer needs further adjustment.


It's obvious I need to practice baking cupcakes from scratch, which I am willing to do as long as I can keep a tight hold on my willpower to eat the batter and frosting in large spoonfuls. I may or may not have made myself sick last night with all the sugar...and then again this morning. Don't judge me. I already judge myself enough for both of us.
・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS