A Magic Spoon

6.09.2010

Okay, not so much magic but still totally awesome.

Check this out: A left-handed spoon. I know, right? Crazy. I bought one last week at an arts festival in Oklahoma City. This lady makes wooden spoons, and as I looked over her stuff, I saw this under the tag "Left-handed stirring spoon":
You're probably wondering if it even matters that the spoon is supposedly for left-handers. Well, I've used it, and it does. It curves into the bowl and makes stirring easier. Plus, it's pretty.


I rarely see things that are just for left-handed people. The world caters to rightys, which meant I had to use a right-handed desk in school, indentations were left on my left arm when I used a spiral notebook, and right-handed scissors hurt my pinky. When I took tennis lessons, I heard this a lot: "Just look at what everyone else is doing and do it backwards." Yes, thank you. That helps.

In a story recently done on ABC news about leftys, studies showed that "left-handed people are more likely to be schizophrenic, alcoholic, delinquent, dyslexic, and have Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, as well as mental disabilities. They're also more likely to die young and get into accidents."

Bummer for me.

Left-handed people make up 5-15% of the current population. Clearly those crazy rightys are out to get me at every turn, so I must be careful.

However, left-handers also tend to be smarter and better athletes. So there.

If you try to make fun of me for making my check marks go from right to left or wearing my watch on my other hand, I'll just take my cool, new wooden spoon and hit you over the head. The blow will come from the left. I know you won't be ready.
meggo said...

I think my daughter is a lefty.

Amanda said...

Well more power to her! But seriously... don't be one of those moms who forces her kid to use their right hand or something. Not that you would. But I know someone who did. Now the kid is horribly confused ;)

・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS